Thursday, December 12, 2013

Kat's Final Reflection

During this presentation, I though that most of it went well. First, I worked well with my partner with my partner which is always plus because we both where always on task and knew what we needed to do. To get started on teaching the lesson we had so difficulty, but really tried to take your advice in polling the class about our topic to make the graphs. I also was able to find out some statistics to make other graphs. I think it is hard to teach charts and graphs on a foreign subject because a helpful hint in the book is to make them on information that students know about. I think our idea to have people make their own graphs was a better idea then to just look at graphs because that gets boring. our lesson was hands on and informative. the challenges would be the lack of knowledge of immigration. I think if we did this after a unit on immigration it would have been better. also the time constraint was a little tough to follow to describe the charts and graphs then to construct them, I also wish I could have talked slower and explained a little more. I learned that you need to take every lesson slow and make sure you do not get frustrated when students are confused. I will always remember to take my time to explain the lesson. I learned that the students did not really know a lot about the topic and if they didn't read the blog then they wouldn't really know what is going on. I would need to keep that in consideration. Having a more constructed directions would be something I would so differently if I was teaching it to a young class. I think for this exercise and for people to learn about the different graphs individually, the less direction were okay. I would also maybe give background information on immigration before starting to get their prior knowledge turning. Without this assignment I would have been in the same boat as most people with limited information. As a whole, I liked the blog prompts better than the presentation part. the presentation part lets you know that the other students are learning what you are, but I felt more comfortable in the blog situation. I learned a lot more about immigration than I thought I would. I know may not be totally confident in knowing all the information about immigration, but I think I have a good base to continue my learning. I am a little more interesting in the news and current events, but it still isn't my strong suit or my favorite topic. I will try to engage more in my community issues because they do impact me and my surroundings more than I thought before. I sent one email to a politician but there is much more I can do. I am on the right road to becoming an active citizen, but I wouldn't say I am completely there. I would like to learn and do more for my community before I call myself that with total confident. I am glad to be done with the assignment, but excited to learn more about my topic by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment